Understanding the RED Teaming approach to success in cybersecurity
Red teams are the attackers – these can be internal or external security teams that test the effectiveness of present Cyber Defense Operations. Further, the teams use the available resources to act like a possible attacker of the RED Teaming process. This must behighly realistic in nature and operations. The process is considered like the penetration testing.
RED Teaming process
The RED Teaming process has a huge number of attributes. These define their overall attributes in terms of cybersecurity. A few of these include the following –
- Emulation of the TTP. Such people target the possibility of immediate attack. The idea is to be a threat actor to give equal threats and pivoting technology, etc.
- Campaign based testing – this RED Teaming process runs for a long time. Example – weeks, months, etc. This helps to emulate the same attacker.
Blue Teaming process
This refers to the actual defenders of the company against possible attack. Such a process of Blue Teaming tries to have the right assessment of the internal security team. This evaluates the process against both real attackers as well as the red team.
Such a great process requires the right preparation of the internal staff against possible attack. Hence, it keeps them on toes for the possibility of attack from any loopholes. As a result, the Blue Teaming members need to have –
- Surveillance tests against possible attack
- Proactive and reactive power
- Quick approach to problem solving
- Continuous improvement in detection and response factors
Purple Teaming process
The process of Purple Teaming is to ensure and maximize the overall efficiency of the above two teams. This is possible through integration of the possible threats and security issues through right defensive action. This maximizes the returns for both teams.
Hence, the organization should have the right results for the defense and security mechanism through Purple Teaming. This is used for integrated approach to problem solving. This further addresses the core problems and their solutions. It is therefore a cooperative function and not a onetime effort.